Fab Followers

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Calla Lilly

Hi Peeps, what a gorgeous day it is today, the sun is shining, the birds are singing and I'm glossing interior doors yuk but someone has to do it and seeing as my other half 'doesn't like to gloss!' I thought that I had better do it cause I love it soooo much! Yes, thats sarcasm lol. The biggest challenge is making sure the kids don't touch the doors now, for the past hour I don't know how many times I've screamed "Watch the doors!" bet it will be me that touches them lol.
Anyway, unfortunately I have quite a few sympathy cards to make, so this is the first of many that you will be seeing on my blog over the next week. There are so many lovely digital images out there that are perfect for sympathy cards so I have purchased a number of them, this one is called 'Calla Lillies' from the Digi Doodle Shop, I love this image, I have coloured it using promarkers and then embossing it using swiss hearts. I have added a little peel off butterfly which I placed on velum and then cut out, I like to add butterflies to sympathy cards as it is how I explained the cycle of life to my children when their grandfather died a few years ago, I'll tell you a quick story about that. When my father in law died, very suddenly in his 50s, it was a great shock to us all, especially the children as they were very close to him. That night my daughter Rebecca was crying in her room, I went in and told her that Grandad was in heaven watching her and just like a caterpillar that changes into a butterfly, grandad wasn't in his body anymore (this is the brief version) his spirit had gone to heaven, to a beautiful place and he even had hair again (we had a little giggle about that as grandad was bald) Anyway, that night after the funeral, Rebecca and Jessica shouted me up to their room and there on their curtains was a beautiful butterfly, it was so lovely and really helped the girls with their grief. I just thought I would share that with you.
I am entering this card into the following challenges:
Delightful Challenges~ Delightful Butterflies
Crafty Catz~ Yellow and Green
Enjoy the rest of your day x

8 comments:

Aunty Sue said...

How beautiful you put their Granddads passing andwhat a lovely card. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz at this difficult time

carol said...

aah gorgeous card, love it...
Your story to your children was a lovely one, nice eay to explain.
thanks for sharing your card with us x carol.....craftycatz

Marlou McAlees said...

a beautiful card Donna, I know these type of cards are a difficult one, but you've really made it beautiful :) happy glossing {rather you than me!! ... LOL } xx

pinky said...

Donna thats a gorgeous card and perfect for a sympathy card, we all hate having to make these:( I loved the story of the the butterfly with your girls, perfect way to console them. I am a big believer in these butterflies, so many people have been consoled when seeing one at a grave side etc. Happy St. patrick's day.
Pinky

Donna said...

This is so beautiful Donna and totally perfect for the occasion...I had a big lump in my throat after reading your story :) Donna x

Scrappin' Sam said...

Thats a beautiful story Donna. Lovely card x

Maria Matter said...

Gorgeous card Donna, I really like the look with the embossing, adds a wow factor!!
Beautiful story about the butterfly too!
I've been making sympathy cards also
:(
We've had two deaths this past week in our extended family.
hugs

Mandy said...

Stunning card Donna, so elegant and perfect for such a sad occasion
hugs Mandy xx